Recent years have been critical with a dynamic development of the CBD industry as researchers continue to bring forward the miraculous healing benefits of CBD for pets. CBD for dogs can be therapeutic, promoting overall well-being and facilitating a healthier lifestyle.
However, experts suggest that you should refrain from administering CBD oil to the pets unless it is recommended by a vet, considering your dog’s personal health status.
Veterinary Approved CBD Oil in The Legal Arena
Can your vet legally recommend CBD oil to your dogs? The Farm Bill passed in 2018 lays down legal provisions legalizing hemp products that contain no more than 0.3% THC content. Hemp is legally grown and used for non-psychoactive effects. The vets must follow certain legal provisions while prescribing CBD oil for pets.
- The American Veterinary Medical Association highly condemns CBD prescriptions for doctors without considering their condition, the premium quality of the product, and the legal limits prescribed by the law.
- The veterinarian doctor must strictly observe the limits posed by the law regarding the THC content in CBD oil. The legal hemp CBD products must contain no more than 0.3% THC
Discussing CBD Oil Use with Your Vet
If you’re a dog owner, talking to your pet’s vet is the best thing you can do to ensure your beloved dog’s health and well-being. Most vets are now well-acquainted with the marvelous healing abilities of CBD for dogs and other pets. You can have a constructive conversation with the vet to chalk down the various aspects.
- A Critical Analysis Of Dog’s Health
It is important to talk to your vet about your dog’s health condition to properly assess its health status. This can help your vet have an idea of what you’re looking forward to. Also, CBD doses can be effectively prescribed for the optional results.
- CBD Resources
When prescribing CBD oil, it’s crucial to talk about the resources of the product as it can play key roles in the well-being of your beloved dog. The dogs should only be fed CBD products sourced from the hemp plant as they contain safe amounts of THC.
Why Do Vets Recommend CBD Oil for Dogs?
With the right CBD dosage for dogs, there’s a lot your dogs can enjoy in terms of curative impacts from these incredibly therapeutic cannabinoids of the cannabis plant. Here’s why vets recommend CBD oil for dogs:
- Using CBD oil for your dog helps promote a calm and relaxed behavior, reducing chances of developing anxiety and other mental discomforts leading to behavioral disruptions.
- Better joint health of your dog means a higher functionality level. Dogs love to play and stay active, and using CBD can improve joint health and ultimately boost the overall activity levels of the dogs.
- Among other benefits, including pain management, skin health, and others, lies one of the most important factors: cognitive function. CBD prevents cognitive distortions and interacts with the endocannabinoid and nervous systems to improve logic-building and cognitive abilities.
Your Veterinarian Might Not Want to Discuss Using CBD Products
There are several reasons why your veterinarian might hesitate to discuss using CBD products for your pet. Firstly, there’s a lack of comprehensive research on CBD’s effects on animals. While some studies suggest potential benefits, the scientific community is still exploring the full range of CBD’s effects and any potential side effects in pets.
Secondly, the legal landscape surrounding CBD for pets can be complex. Regulations vary from one place to another, and some veterinarians might not be familiar with the specific rules and guidelines in your area. They could be concerned about inadvertently recommending a product that doesn’t meet legal requirements or contains harmful additives.
For these reasons, many veterinarians prefer to take a conservative approach and may not initiate discussions about CBD products.
With an assessment of your dog’s current health status, size, weight, and other aspects, your vet may recommend CBD treats that can potentially improve the well-being of the dogs in several ways.