St Annes Pier, Lancashire
|Spans:||River Ribble/ Irish Sea|
|Construction:||Iron columns, iron lattice girders|
|Fire:||1959, 1974, 1982|
|Restoration:||1904, 1954, 1960, 1962, 1990s|
St Annes Pier was built for the St-Anne’s-on the-Sea Land & Building Company Ltd and opened on 15 June 1885. It had Chinese-style kiosks and elegant ironwork, and much of the latter is still in evidence. The pier was famous for the Lionel Johns’ Pier Orchestra which was mainly comprised of lady musicians who played every morning and evening throughout the season in the Floral Hall. In July 1982, the Floral Hall was destroyed by fire and 35 metres of the pier’s seaward end had to be removed, reducing the length to 183 metres. Much of the pier is now occupied by amusement arcades.