Skegness Pier, Lincolnshire
|Design:||Charles Clarke and Robert Pickwell|
|Construction:||Screw piles, cast iron columns, iron lattice girders and bracings|
|Storm damage:||1882, 1953, 1978|
|Restoration:||1898, 1929/30, 1936/9, 2005/6|
In 1877, the Earl of Scarborough, who had brought the railway to Skegness, formed the Skegness Pier Company. There was a competition to design the pier and Clarke & Pickwell’s design was chosen from 44 entries. Construction cost £20,840, and it was opened by the Duke of Edinburgh on the 4th June 1881. The sight of a defrocked rector, a certain Harold Davidson, preaching from inside a lion’s cage, was apparently not uncommon during the late 1930s. Unfortunately he was mauled by a lion in 1938 and died a few days later.