Redcar Pier, Middlesbrough (Lost Pier)
|Design:||J.E. & A. Dowson|
In December 1885, a ship demolished the landing stage of Redcar Pier and further damage by the ‘Amarant’ in January 1897 caused a 60 foot breach. In August 1898, the pier-head burned down. Redcar Borough Council bought the pier in 1946 for £4,500. The 1953 East Coast floods caused further damage but the pier remained open. However, in 1980, it was declared unsafe and closed. The council accepted an offer to buy and remove it for just £250 and the site had been cleared by March 1981.