Penarth Pier, South Wales

Penarth Pier, South Wales, July 2012

Spans:Bristol Channel
Design:H F Edwards
Construction:Cast iron piles, steel cross-bracing, wooden deck, concrete landing stage
Year opened:1895
Original length:200m
Present length:200m
Fire:1931
Restoration:1994, 1996-8, 2007/8

Penarth Pier is one of the last remaining Victorian piers in Wales. The original structure acted as a promenade and landing jetty for the then lucrative steam ship trade across the Bristol Channel.  Cruises on the White Funnel fleet, owned by the Bristol based P & A Cambell Ltd, ceased operating in 1981 and over the years, this trade has dwindled with the commercial shipping companies having now all disappeared. The pier has benefitted from lottery funding, and most recently work has been undertaken on the shore-side art deco pavilion.

Penarth
South Wales
The Esplanade
CF64 3AU

Participating Galleries

View public content

Penarth Pier
KEY: white circle = pier & black square = venue