Margate Jetty, Kent (Lost Pier)
|Storm damage:||1877, 1978|
In 1824, the Margate Pier Harbour Co. erected a wooden jetty called the ‘Jarvis Landing Stage’. However, this was only accessible at low tides and needed regular repairs. On 4th November 1851, it was breached in two places by a storm. The Company commissioned a new ‘jetty’ (so called to distinguish it from Margate Pier Harbour wall) and work began in 1853 to the design of Eugenius Birch, his first pier. It closed in 1976 on safety grounds, and was virtually destroyed by a storm in 1978. It remained as a wreck for several years, surviving a number of attempts to blow it up, before its final demolition.