Lowestoft Claremont Pier, Suffolk
|Design:||D J Fox|
|Construction:||Wooden piles, replaced by greenheart timber (1913); reinforced concrete platform (1950)|
|Original length:||153m; 230m, 1913|
|Restoration:||1912/13, 1948-50, 1980s|
Lowestoft Pier was built by Coast Development Co. to serve its steamship business. The company operated the well-known ‘Belle’ steamers from London Bridge, until 1939 and a year later it was sectioned as a defence measure. When the risk of invasion had passed, the gap was closed with a Bailey Bridge and it became an Army training centre. By 1948, the pier was abandoned and derelict. In 2000, the artist David Ward created an installation called ‘St Elmo’s Fire’, which consists of a group of lights suspended on tall poles, which are reflected on the water between Claremont Pier and South Pier.