Hastings Pier, East Sussex

Hastings Pier, East Sussex, March 2011

Spans:English Channel
Design:Euginius Birch
Construction:Cast iron columns on screw piles, lattice-girder iron frame, wood deck
Year opened:1872
Original length:278m
Present length:278m
Fire:1917
Storm damage:1877, 1938, 1993
Restoration:1885, 1910-12, 1926, 1930s, 1950s, 1969

Work on the 910 foot pier began in 1869 and it opened on England’s first ever August Bank Holiday in 1872. Its prime was in the 1930s though it later became a popular music venue in the 1960s before being dogged by misfortune. Since the mid 1990s, local groups and supporters have worked hard to return the pier to its original glory after it was restored multiple times, damaged by storms and suffered from two devastating fires. In 2013 the Hastings Pier & White Rock Trust was awarded £11.4 million by the Heritage Lottery Fund towards restoration of the Grade II listed structure.

Hastings
East Sussex
TN34 1JY

Participating Galleries

View public content

Hastings Pier
KEY: white circle = pier & black square = venue