Harwich Ha’penny Pier, Essex
|Spans:||Harwich Harbour/ North Sea|
|Design:||Peter Schuyler Bruff|
|Construction:||Wood piles, timber decking|
The name of this pier originates from the ½d (half an old penny) toll charged. Construction began in 1852 and it was first opened in July 1853. Originally it was twice as long as the present one but one half burnt down in 1927. The town’s name means ‘military settlement’, from the Old English here-wic, though there is no longer any military presence in the town. The pier is a popular viewing platform to wave-off cruise ships leaving Harwich International Port.