Great Yarmouth Wellington Pier, Norfolk
|Construction:||Originally all timber, replaced by steel girders on wooden piles|
|Restoration:||1901/03, 1971, 2003|
Suggestions to build a promenade and landing pier at Great Yarmouth were made as early as 1843. However, it was not until 1853 that the 700 foot long ‘Wellington’ pier (named after the famous Duke who had died the previous year) opened. In 1889, mixed bathing was permitted from the pier provided bathers wore ‘suitable garments’ although nude bathing was permitted for men before 8am. The entertainer Jim Davidson took over the lease of the pier between 1996-2002 but was unable to halt its deterioration. It was refurbished in 2003 with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund.