Gravesend Town Pier, Kent
|Design:||William Tierney Clark|
|Construction:||Circular cast iron columns, wooden deck|
|Restoration:||1854, 2002/3, 2011/12|
Gravesend Town Pier is the oldest remaining cast iron pier in the world and occupies the same site as the original Town Quay mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It opened on 29th July 1834 and between 1835 and 1842 was used by three and a quarter million passengers. By the mid-19th Century, following the opening of the South Eastern Railway’s North Kent Line, the pier’s importance as a hub for steam services to London began to decline. The Tilbury sewage treatment works is on the opposite side of the Thames.