Eastbourne Pier, East Sussex
|Construction:||Raked and vertical cast iron screw piles supporting lattice girders; iron and wood frame|
|Year opened:||1870 (completed 1872)|
|Restoration:||1878, 1888, 1889-1901, 1912, 1925, 1951, 1971, 1985, 1990/01|
The first 400-seat theatre was constructed for just £250 at the seaward end of Eastbourne Pier in 1888. It was replaced by a 1000-seat theatre, bar, camera obscura and pier office complex in 1899-1901, and the theatre became a home for machine guns in World War II. The pier has undergone numerous redesigns and restorations, and in 1991 the Duke of Devonshire opened a new £500,000 entrance building. In 1996 it was voted ‘Pier of the Year’ by members of the National Piers Society.