Blackpool Central Pier, Lancashire
|Design:||John Isaac Mawson|
|Construction:||Cast iron columns, wrought iron girders; cast iron trestles under a wooden deck|
|Restoration:||1877, 1903, 1966/7, 1973/4, 1978, 1986, 1990|
The Blackpool South Jetty Company was formed in 1864 and work on the pier began in 1867. It opened as the South Pier, changing its name when the Victoria (now South) Pier opened. Also known as the ‘People’s Pier’, it was renowned for its entertainment, particularly open-air dancing which was very popular before World War II. Storm damage in 1964 reduced its length and in 1976 the remaining jetty was blown up. Over the past few years 3.5km of Blackpool seafront has seen construction of new concrete flood defences.